Join Geoff Peters for all the latest Football League news as he looks ahead to another action-packed weekend.Coventry captain Sam Ricketts tells us about their good start to the season, Crawley boss Mark Yates on the ambitions for the League 2 club and ex-Middlesbrough midfielder Neil Maddison talks up thier promotion hopes.
Wildlife expert Sir David Attenborough has travelled all over the world studying nature’s weird and wonderful creatures, however the beasts he meets up in Manchester might just top the lot!In his latest study, Sir David tells all about the fascinating different species he encounters at Manchester United’s training complex – Carrington.Even Wayne Rooney comes out of hibernation to say hello!
Ashley Cole 1 Former England defender Ashley Cole has left Roma after his contract was terminated by mutual consent, with a move to the United States expected to follow.The 35-year-old former Chelsea and Arsenal full-back made 16 appearances for the Serie A club after joining on a two-year deal as a free agent in July 2014, but had not appeared since a 0-0 league draw at Chievo in March last year.A statement on Roma’s official website, www.asroma.com, said: “AS Roma can today confirm that Ashley Cole’s contract has been terminated by mutual consent.“The 35-year-old English defender joined Roma in July 2014 following spells with Crystal Palace, Arsenal and Chelsea.“After making his Giallorossi debut on 30 August 2014 in Roma’s 2-0 opening day victory over Fiorentina, Cole went on to make a total of 11 appearances in Serie A and a further five in the Coppa Italia and the Champions League.“The club would like to thank Cole for his commitment during his stay in Rome and wish him the very best for his future career.”Cole, who has almost 600 club appearances to his name as well as 107 England caps, has been linked with a move to join former England team-mate Steven Gerrard with the LA Galaxy in Major League Soccer.
Louis van Gaal admits a top four finish for Manchester United ‘will be very difficult’ after a 2-1 defeat at the hands of Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.United went into Saturday’s lunchtime clash knowing three points were a must if they wanted to keep their hunt for Champions league qualification alive.But Van Gaal’s men were lacklustre and out-muscled as a thumping header from January signing Lamine Kone – which went over the line off goalkeeper David de Gea – sealed a shock win for the Premier League strugglers.Another defeat – United’s eighth of the season – piles the pressure on Van Gaal, with many frustrated fans calling for the Dutchman’s head after the match.And the manager was resigned to admit the result leaves their top four hopes in the balance.“I’m very frustrated because we were in very good form,” Van Gaal said following the loss.“We were in good form, knew the next match was against Sunderland and knew what we had to do – we had to win because you want to be in the race for the top four positions in the league.“But you will always be compared to your opponents in aggression, and their hunger and aggression was higher than ours. That cannot be. We didn’t keep the ball better today.”Asked about his side’s chances of sealing a top four finish this season, the Dutchman added: “It will be very difficult now, but we will fight to the end.”The result wasn’t the only bad news for United, as full-back Matteo Darmian now faces several weeks on the sidelines after dislocating his shoulder against the Black Cats. 1 Manchester United players look dejected after Sunderland’s late winner at the Stadium of Light
1 Southampton striker Charlie Austin is currently on the sidelines with a hamstring injury Southampton boss Ronald Koeman expects Charlie Austin to be fit after the international break.The striker, a £4million January signing from QPR, saw his promising start to life at St Mary’s curtailed by a hamstring injury against Bournemouth last week.But Koeman has received positive news regarding Austin’s fitness and has pencilled him for a return against leaders Leicester at the start of next month.“The latest update about Charlie is that he will be out for another ten days to two weeks,” said Koeman.“With the schedule of the season that means he will be fit after the international break.”Koeman can welcome back another forward, Shane Long, at Stoke on Saturday after the Irishman missed last weekend’s 1-1 draw against Sunderland with a knee problem.However, captain Jose Fonte will be missing through suspension following his red card against the Black Cats, meaning a reshuffle at the back.“Shane is back, he has trained all week without any problems and he can play,” added Koeman.“We don’t have a lot of replacements for Fonte in that position, but we have enough defenders so we will make the best choice that we think will be good for Saturday.“Of course it’s a blow, for several reasons. He’s an important player, he’s the captain of the team, but a red card means you are suspended and it’s up to the rest of the players to replace captain.”
The documents also show Spears had to temporarily surrender custody of her sons to Federline because she defied a court order. In a Sept. 28 order, Superior Court Commissioner Scott M. Gordon prohibited the divorced couple from driving their children unless they’re properly insured and have a valid driver’s license. The pop star disobeyed the order when she was photographed driving Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, a few days after the Sept. 28 order. She was ordered Oct. 2 to relinquish her children “until further order of the court” when she wasn’t able to prove compliance with Gordon’s order, namely proof of a valid California driver’s license. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By The Associated Press The pop princess is a big spender. Court papers released Thursday in Britney Spears’ custody dispute with Kevin Federline show she spends lavishly on clothes and entertainment, and doesn’t save or invest any of her roughly $737,000 monthly income. Spears’ monthly expenses include $49,267 in mortgage for two houses, $16,000 for clothes and $102,000 on entertainment, gifts and vacation, according to her financial declaration. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Although she’s often photographed eating fast food, Spears declares she spends about $4,758 per month dining out. Meanwhile, she spends zero on education, savings and investments and gives $500 a month in charitable contributions, the documents said. She has to pay her ex-husband $15,000 a month in child support and $20,000 in spousal support. Spousal support will end Nov. 15. As for Federline, his biggest monthly expenses include $7,500 in rent and $6,000 in security, according to his financial declaration. The dancer-turned-rapper has a comparably modest monthly budget for clothes – just $2,000. He also spends about $5,000 on entertainment, gifts and vacation, and $1,500 eating out. Federline earned more than a half-million dollars in 2006, mainly from entertainment and endorsement deals, but after business expenses only grossed $7,436 that year. He receives $15,000 per month in child support.
The lab would likely house government researchers, marine- related businesses or environmental groups, in addition to serving as a new home for the Southern California Marine Institute, a consortium of a dozen colleges and universities that has studied marine biology at the port for about 50 years. But port officials noted that the lab is simply an idea that still must undergo a series of studies. “The marine research facility is just a spark of an idea right now,” said Arley Baker, senior communications director for the Port of Los Angeles. “It’s not even a concept, it’s just something we are thinking about.” Hahn pointed to several other waterfront concepts that have lost momentum in recent years, including the La Piazza Cultural Center, the Sister Cities Pavilion, a memorial to longshore workers, a Ports O’ Call conference center and a pair of museums paying homage to fire boats and the city’s defunct Red Car system. “I love the energy that these ideas come with, but then they disappear from the radar,” Hahn said. “We hire world-class architect firms to design these things, but where have they gone?” Several years ago, the previous harbor commission approved a master development plan that listed a series of projects that would have been built along the waterfront over the course of 36 years. But that plan became too bloated and bogged down, prompting Knatz to scrap it and start over shortly after she took the helm at the Port of Los Angeles two years ago. For now, Knatz has said that she wants to keep the waterfront revitalization plan simple by concentrating on infrastructure improvements for the next five to seven years. “There’s a very specific approach we are taking to determine what needs to be done on the waterfront first,” Baker said. “This is a very measured approach, so let’s see what makes sense now.” Among the ideas that have been suggested in the past – and then filed away – was the La Piazza Cultural Center. The project would have encompassed a library, meeting rooms and restaurants paying homage to San Pedro’s Italian community and the Los Angeles sister city of Ischia, an island off the coast of Naples. While the idea sounded appealing, organizers for La Piazza didn’t have a business plan to keep the project afloat financially and asked the port to charge $1 annually for rent. La Piazza was placed in a file with other projects while port officials conducted a formal “entitlement” process to determine how to develop the waterfront, according to Baker. The proposed Sister Cities Pavilion – an Epcot Center-style building that would have showcased more than 20 worldwide towns linked to Los Angeles – faced the same fate as La Piazza, along with a memorial for longshore workers. “Those ideas can come up again in the future, but we are making incremental increases in retail space,” Baker said. “We won’t do anything more than what the market will be able to bear.” Although a Red Car extension was removed from the waterfront plan, a museum recalling the history of the city’s defunct rail line remains on the books, according to Baker. Additionally, a 75,000-square- foot conference center and retail expansion at Ports O’ Call Village are still included in the plan, along with a fire boat museum. The SS Lane Victory, one of the few remaining cargo vessels used during World War II, will also find a new home along the waterfront, along with an expanded facility for the Los Angeles Maritime Institute, which operates the TopSail Program for at-risk youths. “It’s about building what we need right now,” Baker said. “We can always add more later.” [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! SAN PEDRO: Hahn says good ideas have fallen by wayside. Port says it’s part of idea mix. By Art Marroquin Staff Writer Shortly after a new marine biology research complex was proposed last month to anchor San Pedro’s waterfront, Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn questioned whether the suggested 28-acre site was a wise choice. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre While she supports the concept, Hahn said she’s skeptical about the fervor with which the oceanfront laboratory is being pursued. She’s seen it happen before with other waterfront developments that have been announced with much fanfare, only to fall by the wayside. “I don’t want to totally bash the idea of a marine research institute, but why aren’t we moving forward on all the projects that have been proposed for the waterfront?” Hahn asked. “There have been a lot of good ideas, but I think it’s premature to decide that this is the best location for the institute.” The facility is proposed for land once occupied by Westway Terminal Corp. as part of an effort to revive San Pedro’s waterfront and the local economy, Geraldine Knatz, executive director of the Port of Los Angeles, said when she suggested the project last month. Storage tanks at the Westway site once contained solvents, fuels and acids.
RTE’s North West correspondent Eileen Magnier will share her experience in the media business at the Donegal Women in Business Networking Event.Eileen Magnier (centre) will speak to Donegal businesswomen.She will be guest speaker at the network’s biggest event of the year in An Grianán Hotel on Wednesday, September 11.This is a cross border event with the Donegal Women in Business Network and Women in Enterprise Derry. Hardworking businesswomen from Donegal and Derry will talk in an interview style show, and there will be a questions and answers session.Business experts will have tables open to discuss the industry and offer advice to all attendees.The theme of the event is “Gathering of all Past, Present & Future” members. It will take place at An Grianán Hotel Burt on Wednesday September 11. Registration is at 10.45am. Admission fee is €15.Places are limited and registration is essential. You can register by emailing Rachel – [email protected] / Grace Ann – [email protected] / or Denise [email protected] by Monday 9th September. RTE’S EILEEN MAGNIER TO TEACH DONEGAL BUSINESSWOMEN A LESSON was last modified: September 6th, 2013 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Donegal Women in Business Networking Eventeileen magnerRTE
Two Peas in a Pod pre-school will be relocating from Sylvan Park, Letterkenny to 79a Meadowhill, Kiltoy, Letterkenny. This will be a home from home environment in a purpose built facility, with highly qualified staff, having a Bsc (Hons) degree in Early Childhood Care and Education.The free pre-school year will be provided, which for September 2014, caters for children born between 2nd February 2010 – 30th June 2011. There will be an Open Day on Saturday 12th July at 11am-2pm.Everyone is welcome to come along and have a look at the new premises.For any more information contact Mairead on 0863458583 or [email protected] Two Peas in a Pod on facebook – www.facebook.com/twopeasletterkenny DD NOTICE: POPULAR LETTERKENNY PRE-SCHOOL RELOCATING was last modified: June 12th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:BusinessFeaturesNoticesPre-schoolRe-locatingtwo peas in a pod
1 Rafa Benitez is convinced Newcastle United can still secure their Premier League survival, despite the majority accepting that the Magpies are set to drop to the Championship.Last Saturday’s 3-2 defeat at fellow strugglers Norwich left the Tyneside club six points adrift of safety ahead of this weekend’s trip to Southampton, with the current bottom three all expected to be residing in those places come the end of the campaign.However, Benitez, whose three games at the helm have so far produced just a single point, is refusing to accept that the odds against a great escape are now overwhelming.He said: “Everybody will say, ‘Oh, Newcastle will be relegated’, but that is normal when you see the table. At the same time, I can see the players changing in training.“My concern would be if I saw the players giving up, and I don’t. I can see a lot of players working so hard in training, so I still believe we can change the situation.”To do that, Newcastle may have to embark upon a similar kind of run to the one which saw current leaders Leicester win seven of their remaining nine games this time last season to drag themselves out of trouble.Given that the Magpies have tasted victory just once in nine attempts and collected only one of the last 18 points on offer, that looks a tall order, although it is a hope to which Benitez is clinging.He said: “I am convinced that we can do it.”If Benitez’s side is to pull off the seemingly impossible, it will need more of the same from summer signing Aleksandar Mitrovic, who has scored three of his eight goals this season in the last two games.Benitez said: “Sometimes for strikers to score goals, it’s the difference. With Papiss (Cisse) coming back from injury, he has more competition. Scoring goals will give him confidence and the competition of Papiss will hopefully also be good for him.”Benitez, who will have left-back Paul Dummett back in contention after injury, but not skipper Fabricio Coloccini, will go into the game having brushed aside speculation he could be a candidate to replace outgoing Spain manager Vicente del Bosque.He said: “I am the Newcastle manager and I want to be the Newcastle manager next year. I am really pleased here.“Del Bosque is my friend – I was his assistant when he was with the first team at Real Madrid, he knows how I work. But still, I think I will be here for a while. I have confidence we will stay in the Premier League, so I don’t think about the other options.” Newcastle manager Rafa Benitez